1/12/09

So, I started my 12week program at YMCA today. It's not exactly what I expected, but it will at least get me in the habit of working out.
I suppose I was expecting my personal trainer to be more willing to kick my butt. However, my instructor was more concerned that I was going to be scared away! So she went really soft on me, which I was a little dissappointed about. I honestly didn't even break a sweat. I know.

Anyway, there were some cool things that I did as part of the program:
  • I wrote down goals (typical practice), but also wrote down reasins why I wouldn't be able to achieve them. I thought that was genious. It really allowed me to focus on the excuses I've given for letting myself get soft and lazy.
  • I got a personal walk-through of every machine, how each one works, etc.
  • I got tips on what I could do to get the most out of my workouts.

Since I am on a twelve week program, I have committed to working out 3 times per week. I have a personal trainer to help me with the first session of all six phases of the program, and after that I'm left to my own devices (mwahahahahaaaa!)

Like I said before, I am a little dissappointed at how easy my instructor went on me. I guess I was expecting a Jillian Michaels or something. So I have made my own kick-butt attitude goals for next time.

4 comments:

  1. you are awesome! wsh I were as motivated as you. I am so dang lazy! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! I have faith and once (finally) I have this baby, I will be there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting out the bad (reasons why you think you will fail) will allow for those feeling to get out of Dodge and make way for your will to prove yourself wrong. I think that was a brilliant idea. I know your bumbed about your trainer but If she's not going to be there every time it was a smart move to show you how every little thing works. Too many people get hurt early on and give up. Your first experience was a positive one so you'll come back for more. Sarah, you are an inspiration. I can't tell you how many times I've watch biggest loser and thought... "I'm going to train for a triathalon" or "I've GOT to eat better" and then I do nothing. Good for you. Question: do you cry for those people when they reach a goal or see their lives change? I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Sarah! I worked out at the Y and dropped my two boys off in the child watch there when we lived in Escondido. They loved it (eventually) and so did I. I had the hardest time getting to that point. It was torture the first week dropping them off!! Especially hearing them cry. I remember standing there for a few minutes after dropping them off once, and searching for reasons to stay. I even gave them a second pacifier out of desperation. But I learned to cherish that time to myself, and the kids did absolutely love it after a while.
    I have to tell you, I miss it like CRAZY!! I transferred to the Y here in ID, but it isn't nearly as good.
    Sorry your trainer went soft on you. After all, aren't they supposed to make you do things you aren't going to push yourself to do normally? Hey, at least you're on a 12 week program. I never did that, I don't know why.
    Working out, of any kind, always makes me in a better mood, keeps me more organized, and gives me more energy. I'm so jealous! Go girl.

    ReplyDelete